Well, here it is January 1, and I did say I was going to try to write once in a while.
Truth is, I've had lots to say, just have difficulty getting "around to it".
I sure hope I can call them better this year than last. My guy threw away the Presidency when he meekly voted for the bailout bill, and so "Hope and Change" are on the way. At least Mr. Obama is ticking off a lot of folks on the far left, with his staff appointments, and with the invitation to Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at his inaugural. Whether that's because he's just being politically expedient, or is actually more of a centrist than I think he is, remains to be seen.
I wish him well, as his doing well means my country is doing well. Although I didn't vote for him, and still wouldn't (given another opportunity), he will be my President in a few weeks, and we all owe him a chance to prove himself. Yes, it was a historic moment for our country (and I do mean that sincerely!). We'll have to see if he has the courage to keep us on a somewhat centrist course for the next few years.
On the personal side of things, I have a new granddaughter, Piper Ellis Flemming, born December 17, in Fairbanks, Alaska. Honey and I went to Fairbanks for Christmas, and to say hello to her and welcome her to the world. She's beautiful, and her family loves her dearly.
I am up and around, walking with a cane. Driving myself to work these days, as Honey is still up North with her grandkids. Hopefully by the time she gets back (three more weeks) I'll be riding the motorcycle again, and walking the dog for exercise!
This morning I started reading Bill O'Reilly's new book, "A Bold, Fresh Piece of Humanity". He's a year younger than me, and we both grew up in the East (he in New York, me in Maryland--at least my first ten years) and have a lot in common. Good read, so far! That got me thinking about my high school days in San Antonio. I was in the band in high school, and we were once invited to play for the Texas State Teachers' convention. The guest speaker was Sam Levenson , whose gentle humor inpressed me greatly at that age, and has tempered my family's somewhat sarcastic wit. I remember a small group of us got to meet him and speak with him backstage. During the conversation I said something I thought was funny. Mr. Levenson looked at me, smiled, and said, gently, "Ahh... the class wit!" Then he punctured my ego by following with, "...or is it halfwit?" He said it with a kind smile, which took away the sting. I've never forgotten that moment, and have (usually) tried to mellow my natural sarcasm with kindness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Welcome back. We've missed you.
Dude....it's the end of March....you need more fiber! Where in the world are you?
Uncle, dear. You are better at updating this blog than you are at writing to me. Oh well, I love you anyway.
Post a Comment